PART 3 OF ORGANIZING THOSE DREAM STORMED THOUGHTS
WELCOME TO THE MOON FLOSS STRATEGY ROOM
What is ‘The Moon Floss Strategy Room?’ I’m so glad you asked! Let me explain how the idea behind the Moon Floss Strategy came about. A decade or two ago I was faced with the challenge of accomplishing a major task. I was famous for making ‘TO-DO’ lists in notebooks, however, I was equally famous for closing the cover and succumbing to the ‘Out of sight, Out of mind’ habit of procrastination. I knew I needed to do something a little more ‘IN YOUR FACE’ if I was to succeed this time. I asked myself, “Where would I put a list of ‘must do’ items so I would be sure to see it everyday–if not multiple times a day–and not be able to escape the tasks that absolutely needed to be accomplished?” “Where would I be a ‘Captive Audience?” It had to be somewhere I knew I would be guarenteed to be to see the list. The Answer was so simple…The bathroom, more specifically the wall directly opposite the royal flusher (just above the moon floss dispenser). Did this strategy work? YUP! Would it work for everybody? Well, You could ask the room-mate I had at the time, We both had to work on the same task and we both ended up succeeding 100%. We also had the bathroom mirror covered with data and the television screen as well. This was before the casual advances of laptops and we were temporarily residing in a hotel far from home, otherwise the laptops would have been kept shut off. We agreed that the only way we were going to succeed was by sacrificing and eliminating any ‘FUN’ distractions.
NOW ON TO THE BUSINESS OF ORGANIZING
I finally got the rest of the dream stormed thoughts sorted out and added to the temporary surface. With all of the life interuptions these past few weeks it has been a challenge. After the Dream Storming Task, Part 1 and Part 2, this next bit took a while to get to the stage to blog about…after all I had to have something to show.
SETTING UP THE STRATEGY ROOM WALL
Now some of you won’t have as large a task as we do. You might be able to just post your list on the mirror or just above the moon floss. But for us…We needed the whole wall. Because this is our dream quest we also wanted to post a little incentive to keep us motivated. I gathered some images off the internet that were representative of our goals and made a collage to place in the middle of the wall. Once you start putting the goals and tasks on the wall, you will probably notice some areas that need to be added to that you didn’t make task slips or categories for. To make things convenient for adding additional items, I hung a few buckets with supplies from the towel bar.
A LIST OF STEPS
- Make an ‘Incentive Collage’ and post it in the middle of the wall. (What the heck! Make a few of these and hang them all over…the fridge…the front door…the back door…above the TV…the bedroom ceiling…etc)
- Hang a few buckets of additional supplies (extra post-its, markers, scissors, tape, etc) from the towel bar or someplace nearby. You want to be able to add items as the thought presents itself.
- Make sectional headers that will divide the goals into distinct areas. Ours are DOWNSIZING, THE RIG and FINANCIAL. Helps to keep the areas organized.
- Remember that each ‘category’ and ‘task group’ have double Post-Its. The reason for this is that once you select a task and finish it, you will then stick it on another available wall. This will become your ‘DONE’ wall! Whatever task group this task belongs to has a ‘double header’, Once you start on a group, the 2nd Task Group Post-It also goes on the ‘DONE’ wall. This way you can see at a glance that you actually are accomplishing something.
- Start by placing your General Categories (PINK) around the wall. Don’t worry about getting them just so, I guarantee you will be moving these around a bit as the groups grow or you think they’d be better in a different area than where you started them.
- Then put all of your Task Groups (GREEN) under the appropriate categories.
- Now start putting your tasks under the proper groups. Again, don’t worry about what order they are in, right now you are just getting them up on the wall.
- Take a look at your wall, is it laid out the way you want it. Shift things around until you are happy. As you see the need for additional tasks, just leave space to add them in later.
- Now organize your individual tasks in reverse chronological order. The tasks of that group that need to be done first should be at the bottom of the list.
- After you are happy with the placement, you will need to rub your finger over the Post-Its to make sure the adhere well to the wall. (shower steam will make them curl as the room re-cools, but just take the time to rub them down a bit and they will stay put.)
- Once you begin actually working on the tasks you set for yourself, you will find yourself eventually coming to the last task of that group. When that happens, put the last task on the ‘DONE’ wall as well as the Task Group Post-It. That shows that that Group is completely done. (I think this would then be a good excuse to have a little party when this occurs)
SO WHEN YOU ARE DONE-YOUR WALL SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS
HERE’S A CLOSE-UP OF A GROUP
This is a close-up of the Yard Sale Category under the ‘DOWNSIZING’ area. I haven’t put the tasks in order yet in this picture but you get the idea. (clicking on the picture will give you a huge exploded view)
So…Good Luck and Have FUN!!!